A Discussion on Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants and ISTE Standards
Teachers and students use technology in the classroom because it is the standard way of learning. The biggest influence has been the large shift away from using textbooks and libraries as the main sources for teaching. The push for going digital, that being online textbooks, libraries, and sources for academic sources, has created an easier and more convenient way for both teachers and students to find they information they need. School districts have also kind of forced technology on to teachers with the implementation of smart boards as well as computer and iPad carts physically in the classroom.
The facilitator standard for teachers is meaningful to me because I love seeing the kids I’ve been working with have growth and show that they have learned something from my teaching. As a teacher, one of the most important things you can do for your students is create a classroom environment that makes them feel comfortable and ready to learn. The more comfortable in their environment, the more likely that they will converse with you and participate in group learning. Within this standard is creating challenging assignments or activities for the students who at a higher level than the other students and the same goes for the opposite end. Being able to work with different levels of education within the same classroom is a very good skill to have mastered. This way all the students get the correct level of work for their personal needs.
The analyst standard for teachers is a little out of my skill set because I have not done a lot of analysis in the past. Even when I did analysis, it was for an English paper and not necessarily in the context of creating assessments and alternative learning strategies for students. When I was working in a preschool, I would create fun activities that would help them learn something small, like colors or a certain letter of the alphabet. Using the standard as an actual teacher and with a higher level of students makes me a little put off, but I feel that I will be able to pick up techniques and tips that will help me in the future.
A digital native is a person that has grown up in the new age of technology. It basically means that these individuals work best with technology, as that is what they have grown up with for their entire life. The youth of today are digital natives, they are the generations that have grown up with technology surrounding them. I mean, in our current day, a toddler can pick up a phone and know exactly how to work it.
The differences between a digital native and a digital immigrant is that digital immigrants are the generation just before that of the digital natives. In an article written by Marc Prensky, he defines the digital native age from the last decades of the 20th century, starting from kids in Kindergarten to college students in 2001. Most of my teachers in high school and so far in college have not shown a vast difference in their knowledge of new age technology. It also happens that most were fairly young and had time to adapt or were already adapted to the new technology. In the future when I am a teacher, it don’t think there will be a vast difference in our levels o knowledge, but I also plan to teach first grade, so I don’t know how much a=super advanced technology we would be using.

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
The facilitator standard for teachers is meaningful to me because I love seeing the kids I’ve been working with have growth and show that they have learned something from my teaching. As a teacher, one of the most important things you can do for your students is create a classroom environment that makes them feel comfortable and ready to learn. The more comfortable in their environment, the more likely that they will converse with you and participate in group learning. Within this standard is creating challenging assignments or activities for the students who at a higher level than the other students and the same goes for the opposite end. Being able to work with different levels of education within the same classroom is a very good skill to have mastered. This way all the students get the correct level of work for their personal needs.
The analyst standard for teachers is a little out of my skill set because I have not done a lot of analysis in the past. Even when I did analysis, it was for an English paper and not necessarily in the context of creating assessments and alternative learning strategies for students. When I was working in a preschool, I would create fun activities that would help them learn something small, like colors or a certain letter of the alphabet. Using the standard as an actual teacher and with a higher level of students makes me a little put off, but I feel that I will be able to pick up techniques and tips that will help me in the future.
A digital native is a person that has grown up in the new age of technology. It basically means that these individuals work best with technology, as that is what they have grown up with for their entire life. The youth of today are digital natives, they are the generations that have grown up with technology surrounding them. I mean, in our current day, a toddler can pick up a phone and know exactly how to work it.
The differences between a digital native and a digital immigrant is that digital immigrants are the generation just before that of the digital natives. In an article written by Marc Prensky, he defines the digital native age from the last decades of the 20th century, starting from kids in Kindergarten to college students in 2001. Most of my teachers in high school and so far in college have not shown a vast difference in their knowledge of new age technology. It also happens that most were fairly young and had time to adapt or were already adapted to the new technology. In the future when I am a teacher, it don’t think there will be a vast difference in our levels o knowledge, but I also plan to teach first grade, so I don’t know how much a=super advanced technology we would be using.
(Prensky, Marc. “Digital Natives, Digital Immigrants Part 1.” On the Horizon, vol. 9, no. 5, 2001, pp. 1–6., doi:10.1108/10748120110424816.)

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivatives 4.0 International License.
Comments
Post a Comment